Pics!

Friday, July 13, 2012

A little bit about the work I do...

I just realized that I have written very little about the work I do here... so, basics first, the new batch of fellows a.k.a PF5 have been in Rajasthan for 2 weeks now. They finished their general induction (where they learn about the work culture here and the fellowship processes they have to go through) and their whole school induction (where they learn about the learning quality they have to work on, organizing enrollment drives, providing headmasters with field support,etc.) today, Now we have to choose a few government schools in which the PF5 fellows can work for four weeks. The Block education Officer has helped us identify a few schools we can go to and now Shail , Lalit (BOTH ARE OUR PROGRAM LEADERS), Rajat and I are visiting those schools and meeting the headmasters there...

 The first school on my list was Luttu ward no 10. I took a bus till Dhanuri, a small village and then an  auto for another 12 kms to reach Luttu.The headmaster was sleeping on his chair when I arrived and the whole school looked deserted.  As I walked inside, I saw a  few kids studying and to my surprise I noticed that the 1st and 2nd std kids were studying with the teacher sitting midst them! I told the headmaster that I was from the Piramal foundation for education leadership and that a fellow would come to the school from the 16th onwards... the HM replied that he would love to have a fellow in the school as he needed help with enrollments... he requested for a female fellow and maybe he noticed my raised eyebrow , he quickly added-  if a female fellow came to our school, we would have a good image during enrollment drives as the villagers will listen to a woman speak over us men...

Within a 100mts from this school was another school- girls upper primary school. I had to wait for the headmaster to come and while I was waiting, the school teachers had already started their ranting session- will you be teaching here from now. why don't you take a  class while your waiting, are you here for inspection... I smiled patiently... I again explained to the HM where I was coming from and asked for her support and she again spoke about enrollments and how they have only 40 kids coming in now!!

The last school on my list was Ghasiram ka bas a few kilometers away from Dhanuri. I stood waiting for a bus for a very,very long time... once I saw this school, I knew it had a similar story= 50 kids, need help with enrollment- we are glad that a fellow will come- don't worry you have my full support. As is the ritual, I stoodanother hour for the bus and reached home just in time for lunch. The end.


No comments: