Pics!

Monday, August 13, 2012

Work! Sigh

Today, I was a little anxious to go to school as I had just returned from Bangalore after a week long leave and I was so not looking forward to work. Yeah, WORK. I thought people crib about their work when they turn 30 or something... But at the age of 21, work was leading me towards depression! I knew I wanted to quit but I have never been a quitter and I was not ready to let this fellowship break my record. Often, when people back home compliment me on my "social" work, I always feel embarrassed- they think the fellowship is some great  thing to do with some romantic challenges thrown in. They don't know that the fellowship is a lot like their life. In what way? In the most simplest way of them all- city life is not always  about living it large, many a times it's about winning everyday battles- so is the fellowship. :) Not everyday is exciting with some great social project in hand, most days are about getting up in time to reach school before the morning assembly, giving oneself a pep talk on the bus, dealing with a lecherous teacher, calming down a new fellow, hurling  a 'logical' argument to the program leader and doing all of this patiently with a  smile (and an empty stomach).

Giving oneself  a pep talk...had to give myself one today. Why was I smiling today on my way to school? What was different today? The answer was most disappointing in its realism- I was happy because I was teaching dancing at school in preparation for 15th August celebrations (Indian Independence Day). Choreographing dance has always been my secret indulgence and now that I was about to get this decadent chance, boy wasn't I excited!! Just being able to pursue something I am interested in was enough to make work "fun". Is that all it takes?

Once I reached school,I was glad to see that the teachers were supportive about the "step by step" dance (as they christened my teaching style) I was teaching the kids. The fact that I was respected for my work fuelled me with more energy. I had a chance to redeem myself (for myself) and I was not about to miss it...

After all the dancing, we the school staff had to make an appearance in a function thrown by a villager- he had become a proud father of a baby BOY( it obviously qualified as a cause for celebration). Here I got the opportunity to mingle with the local community...

Today's conclusion: Hand sanitizer can double up as a thing worthy of a display in the museum.

I don't know what exactly I learnt today- maybe today was  a reinforcement of something I'd read a long time ago- start enjoying the work you do and never shall you work another day in your life.
Amen to that.

Love,
A

P.S. Oh dad, did you hear that?

1 comment:

Vishvajeet G Pawar said...

I am felling very happy after reading your thoughts...